Sunday, December 5, 2010

Christmas homesickness

On Friday we had our IFSA-Butler (that's the American program that my school goes through) farewell tea. It was kinda bittersweet because I realized I wasn't going to see most of my casual acquaintances from that program again. It was also bittersweet because everyone kept talking about how soon they're going home.

Most people are leaving by the 18th December because that's when exams end. That was my original plan (Plan A) too, until my mom convinced me to stay overseas for the holiday, since I was going to be there anyways.

Then I thought, why doesn't my oldest cousin come to meet me and we can spend the holidays with our family in Europe? Following Plan B gave me an arrival date in the States of 5th January- still a week and a half at home before semester at Scripps starts on 18th January.

However, Plan B quickly gave way to Plan C at the urging of Sarah, Zoe, and Alice on Halloween. Plan C now involves a ski trip in the French Alps (!), but means I won't get back until 12 January. The obvious problem: I have 3.5 days at home before moving back to Scripps on 16 January.

This would have been fine because my original arrival time was going to be in the early evening (dinnertime), which gave me another half day. But then, after recalling my dad's travel problems, I realized this wasn't going to work. To save money, I booked a round-trip flight from Chicago O'Hare to Edinburgh. My plan was to fly Alaska to and from Chicago. Coming here, I stayed in Chicago for a few nights with my uncle and his family (see wayy below).

However, going back was just going to be a simple layover. I though, nbd- two hours is plenty of time. Until I realized that since my flight reservations weren't connected, AND the international terminal is different than the domestic terminal, it would be a lot harder than originally thought. I would have to clear customs in terminal 5, get my bags from baggage claim, get to terminal 3, re-check my bags at the Alaska counter, get through domestic security (and Chicago is the WORST for getting through security), and get to the Alaska gate. I started to realize that 2 hours from arrival to departure was NOT going to be enough time. Luckily, there's more flights that will get me from Chicago to Seattle that day, preventing an overnight layover. My choices: straight-shot that arrives at 10:20 or via Portland which only saves me an hour. I think I'll end up opting for the straight flight because it gives me more time (2 extra hours in Chicago). I really have no idea how long this switching process is going to take, and I can't think of anything more stressful than running around the airport like a chicken with it's head cut off after traveling cross-Atlantic. Sooo, that means I'm really missing out on the entire evening at home.

When I discovered this in the library, I almost cried. Well, a few tears escaped but I managed to keep it from becoming a full-blown sobfest. To be fair, I think this also had to do with my choice of music: Rascal Flatts is pretty emo for a country band.

Anyways, I'm better now and I have a LOT of things to look forward to: Christmas on Islay with Christy (and a real family!), maybe visiting Robbie on his farm, New Year's in Edinburgh, the ski trip, and a chance to say goodbye to all my uni friends here/my Scripps friends coming for spring semester since I'm leaving after term starts. Even so, exams are putting me off of happy thoughts and making me realize how long I've actually been here- 12.5 weeks. It's a long time to be away from home, and even though I think I talk to my parents more often than when I'm at Scripps, it's unusual that I haven't been home yet for the semester. And there's the entire US and about miles of water separating us.

So, my mood's a bit melancholy at the moment, but I'm almost positive it will pass once I get past exams. Plus, Robbie's taking me to see the Secret Gardens at the Festival Theatre this Sunday. Since he's a bartender there, he gets free tickets to shows. YAY! If it was the Nutcracker, it would be perfect, but this is going to be pretty good as is.

ALSO, today I made a realllly pretty Christmas ornament at the National Museum of Scotland, for FREE. The museum liked mine and my flatmate Giulia's so much that they took our picture with our finished ornaments. Pretty cool, eh? Maybe they'll put me on the website.

Pretty awesome huh? There are 4 sides, but those two are my favorite.

Anyways, mucho love to all of you!

LeeAnn xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment